Zambia Railways is currently undertaking the rehabilitation programme of the railway track and rolling stock.
The aim of the track rehabilitation is to increase the track capacity and train speeds to an average of 70km /h for freight trains and 80km/h for passenger train.
A total of over 272,000 concrete sleepers have been installed to replace expired wooden and steel sleepers on the track.
The aim of the rolling stock rehabilitation is to provide adequate and reliable rolling stock and locomotives for the haulage of more traffic volumes and movement of more passengers.
ZRL has a total fleet of 40 Locomotives and 2,094 wagons.
Out of the 18 locomotives earmarked for rehabilitation and periodical overhaul, 7 locomotives were overhauled by 30th June, 2015. ZRL has rehabilitated 91 wagons and refurbished 13 passenger coaches.
The following are the current projects ZRL is undertaking:
- Remanufacturing of ten (10) Locomotives at Kabwe main workshops;
- Remanufacturing of 40 side tipping wagons for Inter-mine operations;
- Re-sleepering of the track with concrete sleepers;
- Tamping and aligning of the railway track;
- Ballasting and deep screening of the railway track;
- Installation of the new signaling and telecommunications.